The Rampur Greyhound, a breed of Indian origin, has captured the hearts of dog enthusiasts for its elegance, speed, and grace. Historically bred for hunting and coursing, this majestic breed is now sought after as a loyal companion and a symbol of aristocracy. As interest in Rampur Greyhounds rises, so does curiosity about their price in the Indian market.
In this article, we delve into the world of the Rampur Greyhound, exploring its history, characteristics, and temperament that make it an exceptional companion and Rampur Greyhound Price in India. Additionally, we shed light on the factors that influence the Rampur Greyhound’s price in India, helping potential dog owners understand the costs of bringing home these majestic canines.
Rampur Greyhound Price in India
Rampur Greyhounds are a rare and specialized breed from Rampur in Northern India. The Price of the Rampur Greyhounds arrived between 7,000 to 15,000 Rs; the price can increase based on several factors shown below.
Factors That Affects The Price
As a prestigious and specialized breed, these dogs often have a high price tag than standard breeds. Here are some of the key factors that affect the Rampur Greyhound Price in India:
Lineage and Pedigree: The lineage & pedigree of a Rampur Greyhound play a significant role in determining its price. Dogs with well-documented and prestigious bloodlines, especially those with champion titles or awards in their ancestry, are likely to command higher Rampur Greyhound Price in India.
Health and Vaccination: The health condition of a Rampur Greyhound is crucial in determining its price. Responsible breeders invest in proper health care, regular veterinary check-ups, and vaccinations to ensure the well-being of their dogs. A puppy with a clean bill of health and up-to-date vaccinations is likely to be priced higher due to the reduced risk of potential medical expenses for the new owner.
Age and Training: The age of the Rampur Greyhound and the level of training it has received can also affect its price. Puppies, being in high demand, are often more expensive compared to older dogs. Additionally, the amount of training a dog has undergone, such as obedience or specialized skills training, can add value and influence the Rampur Greyhound Price in India accordingly.
Breeder Reputation: Reputable breeders who have dedicated time and effort to breed healthy and well-socialized Rampur Greyhounds tend to set higher prices for their dogs. The assurance of acquiring a puppy from a trustworthy and ethical source provides potential buyers with peace of mind and justifies the premium Rampur Greyhound Price in India.
Demand and Availability: Basic principles of supply and demand also apply to Rampur Greyhounds. If the demand for this breed is high while the availability is limited, Rampur Greyhound Price in India may be driven up. Conversely, if there is a surplus of available dogs and lower demand, prices may be more affordable.
Show and Breeding Potential: Rampur Greyhounds with excellent conformation and genetic traits that have the potential to excel in dog shows or contribute positively to the breed’s gene pool is likely to be priced higher. Such dogs are sought after by show enthusiasts and responsible breeders looking to improve the breed.
Geographical Location: Rampur Greyhound Price in India may vary based on their geographical location within India. Dogs in urban areas and regions with higher demand may be priced higher than those in less populated or rural areas.
About Rampur Greyhound
Originating from the princely state of Rampur in northern India, this breed was bred for its exceptional hunting and coursing abilities, making it a cherished and revered companion of royalty and nobility. The Rampur Greyhound quickly gained fame by the end of 18 century for its prowess and became a symbol of status and nobility among the aristocracy. It was not only cherished for its hunting abilities but also for its elegant appearance and loyal nature.
As hunting with dogs declined in popularity and became less fashionable, Rampur Greyhounds began to dwindle. However, dedicated breed enthusiasts and conservationists worked diligently to preserve the breed’s purity and prevent its extinction.
The Rampur Greyhound remains a rare and sought-after breed in India and internationally. Though not as widespread as some other breeds, it has found its place among dog enthusiasts who appreciate its grace, intelligence, and historical significance.
Rampur Greyhound Characteristics
The Rampur Greyhound is a large, muscular dog with a sleek, streamlined body built for speed and agility. It has a deep chest, strong legs, and a long, flexible tail that helps it maintain balance during high-speed pursuits. The breed’s short and smooth coat comes in various colors, including brindle, fawn, and black. The average height of Rampur Greyhounds is between 24 to 30 inches, and they weigh around 60 to 85 pounds.
As a sighthound, the Rampur Greyhound is exceptionally fast and has a high endurance level. It can reach impressive running speeds, making it an excellent hunter and competitor in coursing events. They are an intelligent and alert breed. It is known for its keen senses, which make it an excellent watchdog. Despite its independent nature, it forms strong bonds with its family and is protective of them.
Rampur Greyhounds have an independent streak, which can be attributed to their hunting background. This trait requires consistent training and early socialization to ensure they become well-mannered companions. When properly socialized, the Rampur Greyhound can get along well with children and other pets in the household. However, due to their sighthound instincts, they may have a really strong prey drive towards smaller animals. Supervision during interactions is recommended.
Temperament of Rampur Greyhound
Rampur Greyhounds are known for their intelligence and quick learning ability. This trait makes them receptive to training and helps them grasp commands and cues swiftly. However, it’s essential to use positive reinforcement techniques during training, as they can be sensitive to harsh handling. These dogs are fiercely loyal and form strong bonds with their families. They tend to be affectionate, enjoying quality time with their human companions.
Due to their history as hunting dogs, Rampur Greyhounds have a certain level of independence. While they bond well with their families, they might not display the same overtly clingy behavior seen in some other breeds. Greyhounds tend to be reserved and aloof around strangers. This wariness is a natural protective instinct that serves them well as hunting dogs. Early socialization is crucial to help them become more accepting and relaxed in the presence of unfamiliar people and situations.
s sight hounds, Rampur Greyhounds have an innate instinct to chase and run. They are active dogs that require exercise to stay happy and healthy. Providing them ample opportunities to run and play is essential to prevent boredom and potential behavioral issues. Due to their active and energetic nature, Rampur Greyhounds must be better suited for apartment living. They thrive in homes with ample space and a secure yard where they can move freely.
Rampur Greyhound Health issues
Rampur Greyhound is prone to specific health issues like every other dog breed. Responsible breeders strive to minimize the risk of hereditary conditions through careful breeding practices. Potential owners of Rampur Greyhounds should be aware of the following health issues commonly associated with this breed:
1. Hip Dysplasia: Hip dysplasia is a medical condition where the hip joints do not develop correctly, leading to improper alignment. This condition can cause discomfort, pain, and, eventually, arthritis. Responsible breeders conduct hip evaluations of their breeding dogs to reduce the risk of passing this condition to their offspring.
2. Elbow Dysplasia: Similar to hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia is a genetic disorder affecting the elbow joint. It can lead to lameness and joint pain. Regular veterinary checkups can help detect and manage this condition.
3. Hypothyroidism: Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones. This condition can cause weight gain, lethargy, and skin issues. It is typically managed through medication and regular monitoring.
4. Ocular Issues: Some Rampur Greyhounds may be susceptible to eye conditions such as cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy (PRA), and glaucoma. Regular eye examinations by an ophthalmologist can help identify and manage these issues.
5. Bloat (Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus): Large and deep-chested breeds like the Rampur Greyhound may be prone to bloat, a severe condition where the stomach fills with gas and twists. Bloat requires immediate veterinary attention, and it can be life-threatening.
6. Heart Issues: Dilated cardiomyopathy is when the heart muscle weakens and enlarges, leading to reduced cardiac function. Regular cardiac evaluations can help identify heart issues early on.
7. Skin Conditions: Some Rampur Greyhounds may be prone to allergies or sensitivities, leading to itching, redness, and skin infections. A balanced diet & proper grooming can help manage these conditions.
8. Osteosarcoma: As with many large breeds, Rampur Greyhounds may be susceptible to bone cancer, particularly in their senior years. Early detection & treatment can improve the prognosis.
Caring Tips for Rampur Greyhound
1. Regular Exercise: Rampur Greyhounds are active and athletic dogs, so regular exercise is essential to keep them physically fit and mentally stimulated. Daily walks, playtime in a secure yard, or off-leash running in a safe, enclosed area will help burn off their excess energy.
2. Balanced Diet: Provide your Rampur Greyhound with a well-balanced diet to fulfill its nutritional needs. Please consult a veterinarian to determine the appropriate type and amount of food based on age, activity level, and overall health.
3. Grooming: Rampur Greyhounds have short, smooth coats that require minimal grooming. Regular brushing will helps to keep their coat clean and remove loose hairs. Occasional baths are needed to keep them smelling fresh and clean.
4. Mental Stimulation: These intelligent dogs need mental stimulation to prevent boredom and destructive behaviors. Interactive toys, puzzle games, and training sessions can keep their minds engaged and prevent behavioral issues.
5. Socialization: Early and positive socialization is crucial for Rampur Greyhounds to develop into well-adjusted and confident adults. Expose them to various people, places, and other animals from a young age to help them become more accepting and friendly.
6. Training: Use positive reinforcement methods to train your Rampur Greyhound early. They are intelligent and respond well to consistent, gentle training techniques. Obedience training will help them become well-behaved companions.
7. Veterinary Care: Regular veterinary check-ups are essential to monitor your dog’s health and detect potential issues early on. Keep up with vaccinations, deworming, and flea/tick prevention as your veterinarian recommends.
8. Adequate Rest: Despite their energetic nature, Rampur Greyhounds also need plenty of rest and downtime. Provide a comfortable and quiet space for them to relax and sleep.
9. Secure Fencing: Rampur Greyhounds are known for speed and agility. Ensure your home has a tall, secure fence to prevent them from escaping or wandering off.
10. Love and Attention: Like all dogs, Rampur Greyhounds thrive on love and attention from their human family. Spend quality time with them, show affection, and make them feel like a valued household member.
What is the average price of a Rampur Greyhound puppy in India?
The average Rampur Greyhound Price in India from a reputable breeder can range from ₹5,000 to ₹15,000 or more. However, prices vary based on lineage, pedigree, health, and breeder reputation.
Why is Rampur Greyhounds more expensive than other dog breeds?
Rampur Greyhounds are considered a prestigious and specialized breed with a rich history as hunting and coursing dogs. Their rarity, unique heritage, and desirable traits make them more expensive than more common dog breeds.
Do Rampur Greyhound prices vary based on location in India?
Yes, Rampur Greyhound Price in India may vary based on their geographical location within India. Dogs in urban areas or regions with higher demand may be priced higher than those in less populated or rural areas.
Do Rampur Greyhound prices depend on the dog’s age and training?
Yes, the age and training of a Rampur Greyhound can influence Rampur Greyhound Price in India. Puppies, being in high demand, are often more expensive compared to older dogs. Additionally, dogs receiving training or specialized skills may command a higher price.
Do you show potential Rampur Greyhounds cost more than others?
Yes, Rampur Greyhounds with excellent conformation and genetic traits that have the potential to excel in dog shows or contribute positively to the breed’s gene pool may be priced higher due to their show and breeding potential.
Are there any additional costs associated with buying a Rampur Greyhound?
Yes, the purchase price of a Rampur Greyhound is just one part of the total cost of ownership. Additional expenses may include regular veterinary check-ups, vaccinations, food, grooming, training, and other supplies.
What factors contribute to the price difference among individual Rampur Greyhounds from the same litter?
Individual differences in lineage, health, temperament, and physical traits can lead to price variations even among puppies from the same litter. Puppies with superior qualities or those that meet specific buyer preferences may be priced higher.
Are cheaper Rampur Greyhounds of lesser quality?
Not necessarily. While some lower-priced puppies might be of excellent quality, ensuring that the breeder is responsible and provides proper care to their dogs is crucial. A reputable breeder should always prioritize the health and well-being of the puppies regardless of the price.
How can I avoid scams and puppy mills while purchasing a Rampur Greyhound?
To avoid scams and puppy mills, do thorough research on potential breeders. Look for reputable breeders with a good track record, positive reviews, and a commitment to the breed’s well-being. Visit the breeder, meet the parents, and ask for health certificates and pedigrees.
Is purchasing a Rampur Greyhound from a breeder essential, or are rescues available?
While purchasing from a reputable breeder ensures you get a well-bred puppy with a known background, rescue organizations or shelters with Rampur Greyhounds may also be available for adoption. Adopting a rescue dog can be a rewarding and compassionate choice.
This is revered as a prestigious and specialized breed that influence the Rampur in India. Factors like lineage, health, training, breeder reputation, and demand influence price variations. Potential buyers should prioritize responsible breeders, ensure proper care, and consider the long-term commitment of owning a Rampur Greyhound. Whether purchasing from a breeder or adopting from a rescue, providing a loving and caring home is essential for these elegant and regal companions.